Wednesday, July 11, 2007

Skull Tattoo Design

I like to dip my French fries in my chocolate shake at fast food joints. I also put hot sauce on everything from pizza to macaroni and cheese. What does this have to do with tattoos, you ask? Because, what one person finds appealing, another may not. Personally, I do not find skulls tattoos up to my tastes. Nevertheless, there are so many varieties of skull tattoos, and the designs, that apparently, some people DO like them! I have come across skulls etchings with strange-looking googly, cartoon eyes, as well as skulls with nothing but emptiness in the sockets. Some have been surrounded by vines and thorns (with banners of written words under the skull). Most seem to be surrounded by flames, as if the skull popped out of the blaze. (Think of Nicholas Cage in Ghost Rider!)

Some believe that a skull tattoo depicts negative connotations like a fear of the unknown, or a future full of uncertainty. It has also been suggested that it is an attempt to protect the bearer of a skull tattoo from death. I have my own theory, stemming from an experience with the bearer of a skull tattoo. His belief is closer to a simple statement: “Mess with me or what is mine, and you’re dead!” Okay, so maybe some so-called experts have overlooked an underlying intimidation factor. However, either way, there seems to be hundreds – if not thousands – of tattoo ideas in the books many tattoo shops allow customers to choose out of.

Many skull tattoos also coincide with depictions of the Grim Reaper – the creature sent to collect the souls of the departed, and accompany said souls into the depths of the afterlife. Funny thing about the Grim Reaper, though. It may be considered the bringer of death, or evil in some way, but – if the ancient stories hold some truth – the Grim Reaper is meant to be a neutral between good and evil.

A motorcycling colleague of mine has a Grim Reaper tattoo. It has the face of a skull, with no eyes, but a very bewitching leer upon its face. On its scythe (the curved knifelike instrument known to reap wheat – hence, the Grim Reaper), he has the date 6-14-89. This date carries a very sensitive significance to him. It was the day his childhood best friend succumbed to injuries he had suffered in a motorcycle accident.

So, before I get too judgmental about the (what I sometimes find grotesque) skull tattoos, I will always have to remember that there is a reason and a tale behind every tattoo. I am sure that there are plenty of those in this world that find my fairy tattoos obscene (and I’ve been told that before), so I really should not throw stones when it comes to preferential ideals for tattoo design! Oh, and I should also remember that, apparently, most other people tend to find my eating habits just as disgusting!

Tattoos last forever, so you'll want to be sure you've chosen the perfect one before you get inked. Did you know there may be up to 500 different styles for the tattoo you are thinking of getting? Flipping through hundreds of tattoo parlor books can get a little tiring. Why not just browse through a web site instead? You can see 1000s of a tattoo styles, ideas and pictures by Clicking Here. You can even create your own custom tattoo!


http://72.14.253.104/search?sourceid=navclient-ff&ie=UTF-8&q=cache%3Ahttp%3A%2F%2Fezinearticles.com%2F%3FSkull-Tattoo-Design%26id%3D609854

No comments:

Post a Comment